In 1909, at the initiative of Queen Sofia, reforestations were organized to “afforest Attica”. Among the planted areas was what is now called the Syggrou Park in Ilisia
which covers a surface of 15 hectares in the heart of Athens . In 1929, the Forestry Office of the Ministry of Agriculture was established within the small woodland. For a long time the site had been occupied by military huts. In 1948, the new building of the Institute of Forests was constructed and expanded in 1972.
The Syngrou Park, which was named after the neighboring Hospital of the same name, was granted in 1971 by the Athens Forestry Office to the Municipality of Athens. Since then it has remained open as a municipal grove. In 1950, a shack on the northeastern side of the park was used to meet the religious needs of the neighbors. In 1952 the temple became a parish, and later, in 1956 the holy temple of Saint Haralambos was built in Ilissia. Formally completed and inaugurated in 1992.
The iconographer, Giorgos Nikolakopoulos, was born in Evritania in 1939. He studied painting at the School of Fine Arts, 1959-1964, under Yannis Moralis and Giorgos Mavroidis. He graduated with an artistic and theoretical diploma. He also studied
at the same school with a State scholarship fresco and the art of portable icons 1968-1970 , under K.Georgakopoulos and K.Xinopoulos. and won a prize for his frescoes.