Church of St John Kynegos of the Fields
The old church of St John Kynegos of the Fields (ton Agron) was a dependency of the 12th century homonymous monastery on Mt Hymettus, also called of the Philosophers. The small church (which originally was two aisled, with each aisle dedicated to St John and St Basil), was also called St John of the Fields, because until early 20th century it was surrounded by fields, with only 8 families scattered around in the area.
In 1891 the church became the seat of a newly founded parish. Fr Nicholas Planas became its first priest after he was cunningly removed from hs previous parish, of St Panteleimon, which he actually founded. The parish only grew bigger after 1922 when refugees from Asia Minor were settled in the area, which made the construction of a larger church a necessity. Unfortunately, at the expense of the old church of which only the altar niche survives. The current church was built in 1955.
Church of St Theodore in Nea Smyrni
It must have been around 1898 that the remote church of St Theodore in the area of Analatos (nowadays Nea Smyrni) was celebrating the translation of the relics of St Theodore the Stratelates on June 8th. The church is located by the ancient road that lead from the Port of Phaleron to Athens and it is believed that among the ancient ruins located there, must have been the ones of the Altar to the Unknown God. Next to the church there used to be a well with drinking water which gave its name to the area: Analatos (=saltless), nowadays Nea Smyrni.
Saint Nicholas Planas was invited to serve, but there would not be a place to spend the previous night.
Church of St Elisseos (St Elisha) at Monastiraki
The small chapel of Prophet Elisha was built during the mid 1600’s, during the Ottoman occupation, and it was a privately owned church that belonged to the Athenian family of Chomatianos-Logothetis.
After his ordination to priesthood, Fr Nicholas Planas would serve there night vigils according to the typicon of Mount Athos. And that was thanks to the owner of the chapel at that time, Olympias.